Sunday, August 24, 2014

Granita for Lincoln (AKA COFFEE!)

Well this won't be my first official recipe post. I had one planned but mr. ice cream machine is being well... we'll try again tomorrow. In the meantime, i'll post one of my old videos here. This is a recipe for granita. Granita for those who don't know, is a cold ice Italian frozen dessert.  In can come in many flavors and is very customizable, but this here is my old standby. I've lost track of the amount of times i've made it, and i've committed the whole recipe to memory. I suppose then that this would make a fitting second post, as this dish holds a personal connection to me. So without further ado, here's Lincoln's coffee granita.

Ingridients:
2 cups of warm to hot coffee
1/2 cup of sugar
zest from one orange
a teaspoon of vanilla extract

1. zest up that orange, zest it good!
2. Combine everything in some sort of glass, stir until the sugar is dissolved. This will be easier if the coffee is hot.
3. Pour into a metal pan, make sure it doesn't come up the sides of the pan too much.
4. Send that bad boy to the freezer.
5. When it's had time to chill out and think about what it's done (fully frozen) it's time for vigilante justice!
6. Scrape it with a fork to make it light and fluffy.
7. Mound it up high into a glass (fancy would be best.We're classy here in the spiral's kitchen), and add whipped cream (home made is best, but if you use a can, i won't tell!)
8. Optional: More fresh orange zest on top. Nice but, not needed.

And that's all there is to it! Very easy, yet extremely rewarding. You see why I love it. Thanks for taking the time to read this, and give it a try! You'll like it, i'm sure. I'll leave the video below if that is of interest to you. Thanks for reading my fellow spiral foodies. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment